Friday, September 15, 2006

Going to the movies by oneself

Last night I was supposed to go out with a friend, who had to cancel and I was left on my own, on payday.

There was no way in hell that I was going home. It has been a dreadfully tough (aka boring and hard work) week. I left work at five thirty and wandered down town.

I don't often shop for longer than neccessary due to the crowds and the pokey shops, and the fact that generally speaking I don't really get overly excited about the colour of a cardigan or whatever.

Anyway, last night I felt a bit girly, so I decided to browse the shops, and wandered aimlessly around for a bit and bought a miscellany of objects. Exhausted I looked at the time on my phone and realised with fright that it was still only ten to six.

Still I was bored, so I decided to go to the cinema. Now, there are good and bad things about going to see a movie by oneself, something I was thinking about when I bought the ticket for Little Miss Sunshine at nine in UGC. The good thing for me is the sense of complete independence, and the fact that you don't have to account for anyone else's taste.

And I thought it was an interesting, good movie. I felt that it looked at today's world through a caustic, yet somewhat nostalgic eye. There's a moment in the beauty pagaent that I got a jolt, as it's shocking, but then I thought about what it was saying, and I think it's poking at an important message about our society.

It's frigging terrible though going to see a good movie. Noone I know has seen it, and I hate that I have noone to talk to about it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Irish Bloggers