Monday, January 09, 2006

inky evenings

I'm definitely going travelling, that's my resolution. Now, the dull cold reality - eleven months of saving my butt off. And five years of paying the loan back.

But it will be marvellous. And you folks will be the beneficiaries of a not so clever world tour.

Anyway, all this self sacrifice means that I'm sitting at home instead of the pub. And we're getting videos (gosh showing my age) DVDs and crisps instead of the live theatrical performances and champagne we enjoyed chez moi heretofore.

So yesterday evening I watched Gus Van Sant's 'Last Days'. While

a. I enjoyed the visual unravelling of the character much in the manner of watching good video art (in my interpretation good video art is that which you watch without yawning or pretending you're enjoying yourself of just walking off)
b. Kurt Cobain was zeitgeist for my generation and thus v intriguing and any insight into his world is thus rendered interesting
c. I just darned kindof liked it (i.e. 6/10 on my scale of 0= Matrix Reloaded 10=Eyes Wide Shut)

I'm having angst as I don't think you can just say you liked a film like 'Last Days' that posits itself to be an insight into the last days of a man's life, surely 'I liked it' belongs to the category of films that begins with Back to the Future and ends with anything by Jim Carey/similarly enjoyable entertainment but not purporting to be much more?

Don't get me wrong, I love entertainment, it's just that I think I should have an opinion on anything opinionated.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Irish Bloggers