Thursday, August 25, 2005

Wilde about Oscar

Just seen 'The Importance of Being Earnest' and have realised that

  1. men in skirts are funny
  2. my terrible english teacher was right, I should have enjoyed it
  3. that was impossible at the time, as twenty four random randy boys and girls with varying degrees of skanger accents and boredom shouldn't ever be let loose on any play
  4. going to the theatre isn't always a sort of efforty thing (which, I secretly have felt it is heretofore, despite going along to any play anyone would join me at, and saying I had fun afterwards even if I didn't really)

I'm so glad I went as

  1. if I hadn't I would have continued drinking more and more wine as work is such a head wreck at the moment that survival (aka not throwing a hissy fit or having a breakdown in the office) is a choice between sleeping and alcohol, and as I was in the pub rather than bed when the ticket was handed to me by my mate, wine was the panacea to end all ills tonight
  2. they actually put Wilde in the play which worked well (apart from a pathetic attempt at an American accent by an otherwise capable actor) and made me think about context and creativity and my current constipation with regard to writing (not on this blog obviously, were tonight I'm experiencing the opposite of constipation with regard to my typing)
  3. I laughed and laughed

If you get the chance why not go - it was cheap as expensive chips (€10 a ticket, although we were in the front row, which was great until I laughed outloud at a moment of - funny - silent pause and the actors did skip a beat and I felt so bold, like a bold child. I suppose I forgot I wasn't in the International bar watching comedy where you're encouraged to laugh riotiously, and if you snort or giggle at the wrong moment, they pause to ridicule you. Which sucks and makes you feel special all at once.

Wilde had such a unique perspective his quotes are pure legend - from the Importance of Being Earnest:

'All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his. '

'I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy. '
'No woman should ever be quite accurate about her age. It looks so calculating.'
He was born on the same day as me or me on the same day as he, albeit he was 123 years older, which means we may have astrological karma or something.
Anyway, enough spouting about Wilde whilst squiffy on wine, I'm off to sleep, aw bed...zzzz

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Irish Bloggers