Friday, August 05, 2005

Rebellious Encounter with the Law

People are surprised to learn that I have penalty points.

Possibly due to:

a) the fact that no-one actually confesses to having them (although, I have learnt that if you confess first, people are eager to try to out penalty-point story you)

b) the fact that it took me until the age of 24 to learn how to drive, and while I love Betsy (sad I know, but red ford fiesta just doesn't cut it), she isn't the most glamorous gal in the car-park

But a few weeks ago, driving home early after a late night in Enfield - which was a sort-of sleepover come boozy ladies chat into the wee hours - I was in love with the world. I don't know why exactly, but the birds were tweeting, one of those nerdy shows I adore was on Radio One and I didn't have anyone else in the car to impress with my taste in music, so I could listen away, it was early, there was no traffic and the day seemed like a glorious adventure waiting to unfold. I think I may have even sung.

Flash. On the Lucan Road, the speed-camera takes no prisoners.

Plop. Letter through the door with my €80 fine and a nice picture of my reg plate.

Oh well, I fought the law (gently) and the law won.

The weird thing is, I seem to have a counter-magnetic attraction to the place on Capel Street where I'm supposed to pay the fine. I'm not sure why it is (perhaps the Hindus out there may put it down to me having been a devilishly charming crook in a past life), but I have a strangely negative reaction to close contact with the Gardaí. So, I was delighted when work got busy at lunch-time today. Work was pleasantly delighted that I embraced the shackles with such vigour. Still though, I'm going to have to go tomorrow...

My other encounters with the Gardaí include:

a) myself and my friend drinking from a can (each) in the afternoon before the Red Hot Chili Peppers played Landsdowne Road a few years ago. We were so unthreatening. In fact, I believe I had a meeting that day and was all neat and tidy. We were having a pleasant time watching young rowdies romping around, when Mister I'm afraid of my shadow, but not those two twentysomethings Garda strolls up to us.

Garda: (Smiles) Ladies, you're not allowed to drink on the roadside.
Us: (politely by wall) Sorry?
Garda: Can you throw those away please, you're not allowed to drink on the roadside
Rowdies: (Blah, puke, heinous anti cop / anarchic behaviour / having fun)
Us: These? Em, ok. There's no where to put them though
Garda: You could put them over there (gestures general direction of persons garden)
Me: (Thinking) Is that not worse, littering? Should I say something. Best not, might get arrested
Us: Ok. (begin walking slowly to persons garden. turn. cop still looking. gently place cans on wall)

The guilt, the controversy.

b) Outside Croke Park at some country team vs country team match (note: did not use term culchie, how enlightened) I got tickets to last year. The craic and the crowd were massive, and despite a pint or two Jones' Road was freakishly full of people - we had to wait five minutes to get out of the tunnel and mums / dads / kids were in quite a dangerous squash (no movement at all / people saying they couldn't breathe / fear palpable). Eventually the crowd moved slightly and we got through.

Being Civic minded, I felt that I should tell the little cackles of Gardaí having a good chat 200 metres away that there was a need for, oh I don't know, them to manage the crowd?

Me: Hello, sorry to disturb you, I've just come from further up Jones' Road - the crowd situation is quite dangerous there at the moment - people pushing / getting scared. There are a lot of children there. I think it would be reassuring if you could have a look at it.
Bean Garda: (not looking at me) Right. (does nothing. silent pause)
Me: (walk away slowly)
Bean Garda: (does nothing)

Five minutes pass (ok. maybe three minutes pass). Nothing happens, except that she continues with the banter she's having with a colleague.

Me: (righteous indignation - I'm going back in!)
Me: Hi - about that crowd situation... Are you going to do anything?
Bean Garda: (doesn't look at me) That's fine
Me: Sorry? It's not fine - there are people scared up there - you should really have a look at it, the crowd is too thick.

Bean Garda: (doesn't look at me) Right.


I walk away and stand looking at her from a distance. She does nothing. So I stand there, fuming and angry and annoyed and belittled. All of which I express in a flood of glorious metaphors and adjectives to my GAA man, who ums and aws, and agrees at the appropriate dams in the flow.

Of course these are but two encounters, maybe they are lovely fluffy creatures of protection and care. The time I was mugged three of them arrived out an hour after the call and took notes in their notepads. They were fine I guess.

Pity they didn't catch the muggers though.

Comments:
No wonder they didn't catch the muggers if it took them an hour to arrive! That's terrible...although, thinking about it, I have never been mugged so I couldn't really say how long the police would take to get here.
 
While reading this I was reminded of dealerships volkswagen you should stop by.
 
"I just came across your blog about roulette strategies and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about roulette strategies so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!"
 
Hiya aoife, I was searching around for info on how to start a home based business. I found your blog.

I was reading your post and believe it or not it’s helped me. Every tip I get helps, even if its just new phrases I have never used before, its helps me be a better mentor. This is my business link - work from home moms - check it out and see what you think.

Anyways aoife, you have a good site. I'll be back.
 
aoife, why can't more sites be as good as yours!!! You see I am changing my life at the moment and I have decided to start a work from home directory site. I am trying to get inspiration so I can become easier to talk to. You site has given me some ideas. I talk to a wide range of people and I need to relate to everyone I come across so thanks for your posts! The title 'Rebellious Encounter with the Law' caught my eye so I thought I'd post on this one. Cheers.
 
Greetings aoife, you have a pretty cool blog here. I was searching for work from home pc. I just started my home business and you can see it at this link - work from home pc. Your post title caught my eye - Rebellious Encounter with the Law. I'm just looking for tips on how to be a better mentor. I know that’s not what you’re going on about in this post but I am trying to expand my vocabulary phrases so I can talk to many different personalities. I mean I have to talk to a lot of people and I need to be able to connect with everyone.

Anyways aoife, this helped. Keep it up, I'll be back.
 
Greetings aoife, you have a pretty cool blog here. I was searching for legitimate home business. I just started my home business and you can see it at this link - legitimate home business. Your post title caught my eye - Rebellious Encounter with the Law. I'm just looking for tips on how to be a better mentor. I know that’s not what you’re going on about in this post but I am trying to expand my vocabulary phrases so I can talk to many different personalities. I mean I have to talk to a lot of people and I need to be able to connect with everyone.

Anyways aoife, this helped. Keep it up, I'll be back.
 
Interesting site you have onuk caravans for sale. Can I interest your readers in my site onuk caravans for sale
 
Rebellious Encounter with the Law... I've enjoyed reading your blog. I was searching for work from home pc sites. I have a home based business and I wanted some ideas and tips. I also have a blog, it is www.adminsupervisor.blogspot.com it’s new and it’s getting better all the time. Have a look if you want, but I'm moving house and have not posted in a while. I'll get back to it soon.

My other site is a work from home pc site. I recently decided to build my own income and I thought I searching for tips would help me become a better mentor.

Keep up the great work aoife, I'll be back soon.
 
aoife, why can't more sites be as good as yours!!! You see I am changing my life at the moment and I have decided to start a work from home pc site. I am trying to get inspiration so I can become easier to talk to. You site has given me some ideas. I talk to a wide range of people and I need to relate to everyone I come across so thanks for your posts! The title 'Rebellious Encounter with the Law' caught my eye so I thought I'd post on this one. Cheers.
 
Rebellious Encounter with the Law... I've enjoyed reading your blog. I was searching for work from home moms sites. I have a home based business and I wanted some ideas and tips. I also have a blog, it is www.adminsupervisor.blogspot.com it’s new and it’s getting better all the time. Have a look if you want, but I'm moving house and have not posted in a while. I'll get back to it soon.

My other site is a work from home moms site. I recently decided to build my own income and I thought I searching for tips would help me become a better mentor.

Keep up the great work aoife, I'll be back soon.
 
Vegetables are great, but the Heart Start Defibrillator is better (At saving your life, that is ;) ).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Irish Bloggers