Monday, November 15, 2004

Ireland calling

I'm listening to Air America Radio... in my little house in Dublin. Strange after all the hype and media coverage of the elections to be listening in to what's happening there now. Growing up here, it was America we looked to for cultural references. That was before we became rich here in Ireland and our self confidence grew. Marty McFly was my hero, a McDonald's birthday party was an aspiration. Now in such a short space of time, my perceptions have changed. It was naive to think that the world was progressing, hell I studied postmodernism over and over again in college (not that it sunk in or anything). But I did, I believed we were striving for a better, more inclusive world that acknowledged our differences and built on our individual strengths as nations.... not for the first time, I was wrong.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Irish Bloggers